First thing to do was to get some ideas they had on paper and start sketching out exactly what they wanted from the app. We narrowed down key features they wanted and lost some that weren't a priority for version 1.
I then started wireframing up some pages and was able to guide them through some user journeys that we had already been through on paper, but this time on a device. This lead to more minor changes but left us with a decent prototype that we could send over to the developer.
Whilst working with the developer on the prototype I started to skin up some of the wireframes and built up a style for the app. Here are some of the wireframes next to the new designs.